Lisa Elmaleh American Folk
Hannah Johnson, Keezletown, Virginia; 2012; tintype; 10 x 8 inches
In the Gallery
October 20 - November 13
Virtual Artist's Talk
Wednesday, November 4, 5:30pm
Click here to view the video recording of Lisa Elmaleh's artist talk.
About The Exhibition
For the past ten years photographer Lisa Elmaleh has been traveling around the Appalachians chronicling musicians who play in the old-time folk style of the region. Inspired by the history of the place and its musical culture, Elmaleh visits her subjects at their homes where she sets up the portable darkroom in the back of her truck. She creates tintype portraits using an antique photographic process that connects the history of photography to the history of traditional old-time music. This exhibition will feature selections from her on-going series as well as 16mm films of the musicians playing their instruments. Lisa Elmaleh holds her BFA in photography from The School of Visual Arts (New York, NY). She is based in Hampshire County, West Virginia but travels nationwide teaching workshops and making photographs.
Tour the American Folk exhibition as it is installed in Staniar Gallery and learn more about the musicians photographed by Lisa Elmaleh by clicking HERE.
To navigate the virtual exhibition:
The tour opens with the view of Wall 1. Each of the 4 walls can be selected from the thumbnail images at the bottom of your screen for better viewing.
- Select a wall to explore.
- Drag the image to pan around the room.
- Hover over each piece for the label information and select each piece for a closer view.
- These views can be closed by clicking the X in the upper right corner.
- Click on the grey boxes next to the photographs to see a video performance or more information about each artists.
- Select the TV monitor on Wall 3 to view a series of vid16mm films Lisa Elmaleh made documenting the musicians.
- Click on the label box next to it to see a list of the musicians.
- To close the videos, click on one of the Wall thumbnails at the bottom of your screen.
- To close an audio file, move to another view of the gallery by clicking on one of the wall thumbnails along the bottom of the screen.
Visit the artist's website: http://www.lisaelmaleh.com