Dean of the College Search
About the Search
Provost-Elect Lena Hill appointed a nine-member committee to lead a national search for W&L's next Dean of the College following her November 2020 appointment as Washington and Lee's next provost.
Reporting to the provost and supported by the dean of the college office team, the dean of the college serves as the chief academic officer of the College and has primary responsibility for 21 academic departments and 13 interdisciplinary programs. The dean of the college provides strategic leadership and oversight to the College faculty and undergraduate curriculum, and financial resources. The dean of the college manages two direct reports -- Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Associate Dean of Administrative Affairs -- and supervises 209 faculty members and 45 staff members. The dean also participates in faculty hiring for Physical Education/Athletics and the University Library. In 2020-21, the budgets for the College total $30.3 million.
The dean of the college chairs the courses and degrees committee, an appointed body of faculty and student members responsible for the undergraduate curriculum, and serves on the faculty executive committee, advisory committee, academic council, and president's council.
- Chair: Robert Humston, John Kyle Spencer Director of Environmental Studies and Professor of Biology
- Sascha Goluboff, Director of Community Based Learning, Co-Head of the Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program, and Professor of Anthropology
- Fred LaRiviere, Associate Dean of the College and Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Jemma Levy, Associate Professor of Theater
- Diego Millan, Assistant Professor of English
- Erin Ness, Associate Professor of Physical Education and Head Women's Tennis Coach
- Tammi Simpson, Associate Dean of Students and Dean of Seniors
- Rob Straughan, Crawford Family Dean of the Williams School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics and Professor of Business Administration
- K.T. Vaughan, Hal F. and Barbra Buckner Higginbotham University Librarian
W&L community members are encouraged to provide input to the Dean Search Committee at any point during the search process via email: DeanOfCollegeSearchCommittee@wlu.edu.