University Lectures

Faculty are invited to bring a scholar, researcher, writer, or artist who is expected to give at least one public lecture and to interact with our students in class or some other forum. The person should be someone who is not a celebrity and does not have an agent, since the average honorarium is in the $400-800 range. In the recent past, typical guests have included colleagues from other institutions or academic alumni. The fund will also pay for travel, entertainment (meals usually), publicity costs and lodging. Typically, the entire cost of a visit will be somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500. Before making a request, please inform your department or program head of your plans. Then submit your request using the form below. Requests are granted on a “first come, first served basis” with the possible restriction, in fairness to all, of a maximum of $1,500 per department/program per year.

  • Speakers should spend some time with students and faculty while on campus. This interaction, in addition to the formal presentation, should be at the departmental or program level.
  • The University encourages housing to be arranged through campus guest housing. Use the link or call #8200.
  • If the speaker is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. national, regardless of current employment status (e.g. a visiting professor somewhere else), departments or programs must clear the visit well in advance with International Education (x8144) to determine if the lecturer has the visa standing that will allow W&L to pay legally. Please contact International Education 3 months in advance.  Funds cannot be paid without such clearance. Consult "Protocol for Sponsors of International Visitors to Campus."
  • In any event, payment to noncitizens will most likely be subject to a brief delay because, in many cases, the speaker will have to visit with the office of international education during his or her stay.

Please use the following form to submit the request. If you have any questions, please contact the Provost's Office.

Once it has been approved, the provost's office will transfer the funds to your department.