Reused passwords offer a path of least resistance and are the method most exploited by cybercriminals to successfully crack into a user's online account. Unfortunately, the practice of using the same password across multiple accounts, despite well-known security risks, is on the rise. Individuals have increasingly more online accounts to keep up with and thus greater exposure over time.
Security experts often recommend the use of a reputable password manager to eliminate the possibility of reused passwords while strengthening the passwords used for every account. Recognizing the importance and utility of this type of security product, ITS and W&L have made LastPass password manager available to the campus community. Users can choose to set up Business and Personal accounts. Functional descriptions and details of "account types" can be found in the LastPass Accounts document located here.
ITS does NOT have access to any of your personal/family account information.
- Login to myapps.wlu.edu.
- Click "Add apps" on the left side.
- Click Add button to the right of LastPass.
- You will receive email from LastPass. Follow the instructions below.
For users without an existing LastPass account using your W&L email address
- Click "Activate LastPass" link from welcome email.
- Login to your W&L MyApps page, if not already logged in.
- Complete Duo authentication when prompted.
- Enter the Activation Code from your email. Click "Continue".
- With account creation now complete, download LastPass Extension to your browser.
- Use extension in top right of your browser or lastpass.wlu.edu to login.
For users with an existing personal LastPass account using your W&L email address
- You will receive an email from LastPass.
- Set up a personal Free LastPass account using a non W&L email (non wlu.edu).
- Move all your personal items into the new Free account.
- Click "Activate LastPass" and follow instructions.
Options for accessing your LastPass Business account
- Click the app within your W&L MyApps page.
- Go to lastpass.wlu.edu and log in.
- Click the browser extension icon (box with 3 dots) in your browser's task bar.
Activate Families as a Benefit - Personal Account
- Once logged in, click "Account Benefits" on the left side.
- After you've activated your W&L LastPass Business account, you become eligible to receive a free account for your family. To get started, click "Activate LastPass Families for free".
- Enter your personal LastPass username/password, then click "Let's Go".
- Click "Link accounts" if you want your Personal and Business Account to show up in the same LastPass vault. *Please Note* This step is optional.
- Click "Verify Linked Account".
- Enter personal LastPass username/password. Click "Verify".
- All of your personal items will now show up in your vault under your personal email address.