Washington and Lee Announces June 2013 Community Grants
Washington and Lee University's Community Grants Committee has made 8 grants totaling $23,330 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the second part of its two rounds of grants for 2012-13.
The committee chose the grants from 16 proposals requesting more than $80,500.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- Blue Ridge Autism and Achievement Center - Funds to purchase athletic equipment for students.
- Lexington City Schools - Funds to purchase the Expanding Expression Tool to assist with reading comprehension and expression.
- Rockbridge Area Health Center - Funds to help purchase mobile dental equipment for in-school dental care for underserved children.
- Rockbridge Area Hospice - Funds to help purchase software upgrade for Hospice's electronic medical records to facilitate regulatory review, compliance issues, and other needs.
- Rockbridge Christmas Basket, Inc. - Funds to purchase food for needy local families during the holiday season.
- Rockbridge County Public Schools Foundation - Funds will help purchase a Computer Aided Design (CAD) program at the newly renovated Maury River Middle School.
- Rockbridge Regional Library - Funds to assist with the Guys and Girls Read Program in 2013-2014.
- Valley Program for Aging Services - Funds to help provide training and modest compensation for Medicare Insurance
- Counselors in the Buena Vista/Lexington/Rockbridge County Area.
Established in 2008, W&L's Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L's role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2012-13 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually. The submission deadline for the two rounds of evaluations for 2013-14 will be: by the end of the work day (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, Nov. 8, 2013, and Friday, May 30, 2014. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at the Community Grants Website.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (540) 458 - 8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458 - 8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116