Flavors of Northern Italy September 29-October 7, 2018
Dear W&L Alumni, Parents, and Friends,
I'm pleased to invite you to join us for a nine-day journey to the culinary and cultural heart of Northern Italy - a region renowned for its exquisite local wines, specialty ingredients, savory cheeses, and signature dishes, along with the wonderful people who conjure them from traditional recipes handed down across the generations. We offered this delightful tour four years ago. It was so popular and so well-received that we're eager to return.
Once again, we'll settle into spacious accommodations at a beautiful family-owned wine estate outside Verona. Our location offers easy access to venerable wineries, artisan producers, and an impressive variety of historic sites. Highlighting each day will be exclusive visits and culinary experiences along with festive occasions that will warmly convey what the Italians mean by la dolce vita - the joyful celebration of food, friends and life!
Space is limited. With significant savings of more than $1,000 per couple, we anticipate this tour will again fill quickly. We urge you to reserve your spot today and share this brochure with family and friends who may be interested in joining you.
Please reserve by calling (540) 458-8723 or by returning the reservation form.
Robert Fure, Ph.D., Director of Lifelong Learning
Early Reservation Bonus!
Reserve your space by February 16, 2018 to receive six bottles of Northern Italian wine featuring labels by vintners in the regions you will visit during this program! This Orbridge exclusive gift is to thank you for joining us early.
Where shipping is prohibited by state law or by retailer licensing obligations, guests in those states will receive other specialty items of comparable value. See reservation form for more details.
Embrace the Enchantment, Ambiance, and Culture of Northern Italy
Settle in and spend time learning and enjoying Northern Italian culinary traditions con gusto. A key ingredient of this signature journey is the luxury of unpacking once and dedicating your days to the rich cultural opportunities unique to this region.
Your 9-Day Itinerary (subject to change)
|1||En route from U.S.||D|
|2||Arrive in Verona, Italy||B,D||Selva Capuzza, welcome dinner||Borgo San Donino|
|3||Verona||B,L,D||Guided sightseeing, Renaissance Gates, Roman monuments, Roman amphitheater, Piazza delle Erbe, Juliet's balcony||Borgo San Donino|
|4||Valeggio sul Mincio / Valpolicella||B,L,D||Tortellini-making presentation, guided garden tour of Parco Giardino Sigurtà, Giuseppe Lonardi winery (winner of numerous Decanter World Wine awards) tour and tasting||Borgo San Donino|
|5||Vallagarina / Lago di Garda||B,L,D||Award-winning De Tarczal winery visit, tasting and lunch, dessert cooking class||Borgo San Donino|
|6||Modena / Mantua||B,L,D||Balsamic vinegar tasting and lunch at Acetaia Caselli, UNESCO World Heritage Site of Palazzo Ducale||Borgo San Donino|
|7||Roncá||B,L,D||La Casara cheese demonstration and sampling, Tower of San Martino della Battaglia||Borgo San Donino|
|8||Sirmione||B,L,D||Pasta cooking class, time at leisure (enjoy the gardens, take a boat ride on Lago di Garda, stroll by Rocca Scaligera castle, or walk around the lake), special farewell dinner||Borgo San Donino|
|9||Depart Verona||B||Depart Verona|
|10-12||Optional Extension: Venice|
- In the famed Valpolicella and Trentino wine regions, visit picturesque vineyards, discover local varietals, and enjoy exclusive tastings and presentations.
- While chefs and producers divulge secrets of their crafts, sample the best of Northern Italy's bounty - specialties like gnocchi di pane, savory spiedini and sweet sbrisolona.
- Take in the area's layered history, with visits to Verona's 2,000-year-old Roman arena, contrasting with the magnificent medieval Castelvecchio along the River Adige, and the lush gardens of Parco Giardino Sigurtà.
- See Palazzo Ducale - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - which was the royal residence of the Gonzaga family from 1328 to 1707.
- Experience the panoramic beauty at captivating Lago di Garda - Italy's largest lake.
- 7 nights at our wine estate
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and 7 dinners served with wine
- All lessons, private tours, and unique small-group excursions noted on the 9-day itinerary
- Full guiding services of an Orbridge Travel Director and expert local guides
- Private motor coach transportation, luggage handling, and airport transfers for guests arriving and departing during the suggested times
- Gratuities to Orbridge Travel Director, local guides, drivers, porters, and wait staff for included meals
Guests should be able to enjoy two hours or more of walking, be sure-footed on cobbled surfaces, and walk up and down stairs without assistance.
Your Accommodations (subject to change)
Within arm's reach of the culture-rich Veneto and Emilia Romagna regions lies Borgo San Donino, a charming farmhouse on the Selva Capuzza wine estate - also the 1859 battle site of Italy's fight toward its independence - owned by Luca Formentini and his family for four generations. The farmhouse apartments, winery, and attached restaurant are the result of many years of dedicated work, and provide award-winning wines, delightful accommodations, and generous hospitality for all who visit.
Stroll the grounds and you might see grape vines being carefully tended by hand or olives ripening for the estate's own olive oil, just steps away from tables where the harvest is reincarnated in signature wines and local dishes. The Selva Capuzza winery produces a wonderful selection of varietals - red, white, and rosé - all under the careful expertise of the Formentini family. They take great pride in the careful cultivation of the vines, and are locally known for both their farming and conservation skills.
Visit the nearby San Martino Tower and admire its majesty from the inside and out. Then follow the tree-lined road to the Chapel of San Martino, which guards many of the fallen from the war.
After a day's adventures, restore your senses amidst the comfortable atmosphere of your apartment - inspired, as you will be, by the beauty of Northern Italy's landscapes.
A comfortable apartment with kitchenette and en suite bathroom with shower, overlooking the garden and surrounding countryside.
A spacious apartment with vaulted ceilings, kitchenette, en suite bathroom, and second-floor views of the garden, vineyard, or surrounding countryside.
Optional Extension: Venice (subject to change)
Revel in the gloriously romantic and enchanting atmosphere of the Floating City. Your small group (up to 10 guests) will delight in exploring the classic treasures of this remarkable region.
|9||Depart Verona / Arrive Venice||B||Private water taxi city tour down the Grand Canal (see the Rialto Bridge, St. Mark's Basin, Giudecca), visit to the monastery island of San Giorgio Maggiore|
|10||Venice||B||Guided walking tour off the beaten path, wine and biscotti tasting|
|11||Venice||B||Day at leisure|
- 3 nights accommodations at the Pensione Accademia (or similar) with breakfast each morning
- Guided sightseeing via water taxi through the canals
- Guided walking tour away from the busy streets to explore authentic, quieter neighborhoods filled with unique architecture
- Train ticket from Desenzano del Garda-Sirmione to Venice accompanied by your Orbridge Travel Director
- Water taxi transfer to and from your hotel on arrival and departure days
- Concierge service to help you plan your days in Venice
Special group rate; limited offer. Rates are per person based on double occupancy except where noted as Single, in U.S. dollars. Airfare not included. Single availability limited.
- Classic Room: $3,995
- Superior Room: $4,295
- Single: $5,495
- Venice Extension: $1,595
- Single Extension: $2,295
The Fine Print
Registration, Deposits and Final Payment
To confirm and secure your reservation, a deposit of $850 per person per program, a deposit for any extension(s), and any non-refundable advanced payments, payable by check, online check/ACH, money order, wire transfer of same day U.S. funds, or major credit card, is due at the time of registration. Final payment, including any extension(s) and optional(s), is payable by check, online check/ACH, money order, or wire transfer of same day U.S. funds and due no later than 90 days prior to the scheduled program departure date. If your reservation is made between the nal payment due date and the date the program starts, the entire cost of the program, including any extension(s) and optional(s), is due at the time of registration by check, money order, or wire transfer of same day U.S. funds. Final payments made by credit card are subject to a 2% transaction fee. If final payment is not received by Orbridge by the final payment due date, Orbridge may, at any time and with or without notice, cancel your reservation in its sole discretion with no right of refund. All payments we receive from you are herein defined as "Payments."
Cancellations and Refunds
All cancellations must be submitted to Orbridge in writing and will be subject to a cancellation fee ("Cancellation Fee") as follows:
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge 275 or more calendar days prior to the scheduled departure date, all deposits will be fully refunded;
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge between 274 and 151 days prior to the scheduled departure date, the Cancellation Fee will be $500 per person per program and $300 per person per program for extensions;
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge between 150 days prior to the scheduled departure date and the day before the nal payment due date, the Cancellation Fee will be the full deposit per person per program including any extension;
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge on the nal payment due date or closer to the scheduled departure date, the Cancellation Fee will be the full program price.
In addition to and not in lieu of the foregoing, a Cancellation Fee equal to 100% of the carrier charge applies to all non-refundable airfares due to your cancellation made at any time prior to the scheduled program departure date, as applicable. Refunds, if any, of any Payments in excess of the aggregate Cancellation Fee shall be processed within 30 calendar days of our receipt of your written notice.
For complete Terms & Conditions, visit http://terms.orbridge.com.