Workplace Injuries and Incidents

The University pays the entire cost of workers' compensation insurance covering all employees who sustain work-related accidents or illnesses. If an employee is injured on the job, or if an employee believes they have a work-related illness, regardless of how minor the injury or illness, the employee must report this immediately to their supervisor. An employee's supervisor must report any work-related injuries to Michael Jennings, Director of Environmental Health and Safety (x. 8175) within 24 hours of the occurrence of the injury. If a supervisor fails to report the injury, the employee should report the injury within 24 hours. Subsequently, if the employee is placed on restricted or limited duty by a doctor, the employee must inform both their supervisor and Human Resources. Human Resources must also be contacted if an injury results in a loss of work time.

Workers' compensation insurance pays for authorized medical bills and a portion of an employee's salary (up to 66% up to a maximum salary cap) when the employee is absent due to a compensable work-related injury or illness. A benefit-eligible employee who is out of work for a compensable work-related injury will receive 100% of their salary if the employee is eligible for University CTO/SLR or extended sick leave. The employee must, in turn, remit to the University any workers' compensation supplement received.