What Can W&L's German Program Offer You?
Experience in Germany:
• Two spring term abroad programs: (1) "Bayrische Studienwochen" (Bavarian Study Weeks) and (2) "Layered Berlin" are total immersion academic programs directed by W&L faculty.
• A semester-long program with the University of Bayreuth in the spring/summer semester (April - July) or with another university's study abroad program-such as Bonn, Vienna, Munich, and Berlin-and have the credits transferred to W&L.
• Internships with German companies through the AmCham US-German Internship Program our alumni, and other organizations supported by the Woolley Fellowships and Johnson Opportunity Grants.
For more information, contact Professor Paul Youngman or by email or by mail (540)-458-8705
A Rich Academic Experience:
• A capstone project, completed by writing a thesis or by conducting an independent research project to earn the "Honors" distinction.
• Participation in the annual production of a full-length play in German in the Lenfest Center for the Performing Arts.
• Membership in the Delta Phi Alpha, the National German Honorary Society (Deutsche Ehrenverbindung).
• The W&L German Club organizes social and intellectual activities within a German cultural context--from excursions to the Edelweiss restaurant and Frontier Cultural Museum to Kaffeeklatsch in the Lexington Coffee Shop.
• Buford Stephenson's Scholarship for a German student who has shown exemplary performance in the classroom and eligible for financial aid.
• Stadler-Bullard Prize, James Wood Prize, and Jim Stump Prize for outstanding students in the first, second, and third years.
• Craig Hinkel Prize for a student who excels in both German and English.
• Summer Research Scholars to conduct research with faculty.
• Johnson Opportunity Grants for international internships or conferences
• Erik T. Woolley Fellowships for international internships
• The Allen Schanck Roberts '85 Scholarship for summer study or an internship abroad.
• Global Stewardship International Internship Grants for international summer internships.
Support for External Scholarships:
• Fulbright Scholarships and Teaching Assistant Scholarships in Germany and Austria
• German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Research Internships in Science in Engineering (RISE)
• Congress-Bundestag Scholarship Program
• German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Summer Scholarships
• Robert Bosch Foundation Fellowships
For more information, contact contact Interim Chair Roger Crockett at email or 540-458-8825