Geology Alumni Reunion Sept 22-23, 2017
The reunion was wonderful. A truly fun, meaningful, enjoyable time was had by all. Check out the slideshow! And please know we love to see you whenever you can come back. Thanks to all who contributed photos! (Sorry about any duplicates; working on that.)
Thursday, September 21
Before 5:00pm Sign-in, Geology Department
Friday, September 22
8:15-9:00am Sign-in and Breakfast, Great Hall, Science Center
9:00am-6:00pm All-day Field Trip with lunch provided, ending at the Small's
6:00pm-9:00pm BBQ, Jamie '81 and Alison Small's farm, Raphine
Saturday, September 23
8:45-9:30am Breakfast, Great Hall
9:30-11:15am Faculty Research Presentations I, Science Addition Room A214
11:30-12:15pm Panel: A Day in the Life: a look at a variety of career paths
Scott Howard '79 South Carolina Geological Survey, Chief Geologist
Jimmy Bent '82 Chevron, Team Leader Exploration Research
Malinda Smith '06 Western Albemarle High School, Environmental Studies
Alex Burpee '08 VP Jefferies Inc., Energy Investments
12:15-2:15pm Lunch in the Great Hall; book signing by Ed; posters by alums; time to visit IQ Center, the new and improved G22, and other spots
2:15-3:30pm Faculty Research Presentations II, Science Addition Room A214
3:30-4:15pm Panel: How the Spring Term evolved - and stayed the same, Science Addition Room A214
Jamie Small '81 Appalachians
Erin Kraal '99 Coastal Geology
Richard Kilby '03 Southwest and Pyrenees
Marshall Woodward '16 Southwest and Earth Lab: SAND
6:30-7:15pm Beer and wine reception, Evans Dining Hall
7:15-9:30pm Dinner and Field Unit 8 stories, Evans Dining Hall
VMI's Parents Weekend has been re-scheduled for the same weekend as our reunion so accommodations will be harder to come by. We suggest you call and reserve a room as soon as you know you are coming.
A few rooms are reserved at these hotels. You need to call in instead of reserving online.
- Quality Inn & Suites. Five rooms were reserved under Sarah Wilson; put your room under your name and credit card. Any rooms remaining on Sept 13 will be released.
- Best Western. Five rooms were reserved under Sarah Wilson. These are reserved until Sept 20!
Here are some places to try
- The Sheridan Livery, in town
- Middleton House, in town, unique (very close to the Palms)
- Maple Hall Inn, a couple of miles out of town, historic lodging
- Heartstone Lodge, a few miles outside of town, rooms for up to 30 or 35 people
- Alone Mill rental, a few miles outside of town, this place looks great!
- Glasgow House rental, out on South River, lovely!
Also check out Airbnb
No availability last we checked
- RE Lee hotel
- Hampton Inn Col Alto
We are hoping that we can make childcare available Friday night, Saturday, and Saturday night at Woods Creek Montessori if there is need, so please be in touch with Sarah if you are interested in childcare.
Call me with any questions! Sarah: firstname.lastname@example.org; 540-458-8800.