There are a lot of options for hands-on learning. Come find your science!
A large number of our students spend their summers involved in geoscience research projects, agencies, and topics, but some do not. Whether a student is participating in a geoscience research project or interning with a financial company, the level of engagement is impressive. Faculty and students are grateful for all the support from alumni-supported funds -- the Kozak, McGuire, Spencer, Schwab; R. Preston Hawkins IV; and Edgar W. Spencer '53 Geology Field Research funds -- and university funding that allow them to engage so meaningfully in research. Students often present their summer research at national conferences. To find out about opportunities, check out our Summer Research and Internships page.
On the next few pages you can read about several projects, in the students' own words.
- Samuel Womack '21, Chesapeake Bay Internship
- Chris Messerich '20 and Iszak Morgan '19, NASA grant
- Briyana Mondesir '22, Advanced Research Cohort
- SarahCate Harrison '19, Summer Research Scholar
- Phillip Hall '21, Virginia State Parks Youth Conservation Corps
- Clark Mabey '19: Digital Marketing Internship, China
- Kameko Landry '19: Summer Research Scholar
- Ryan Monson '20: Summer Research Scholar, and more
- John Baizer '19: Internship with Ryan Companies
- Matt Richards '19: Working for the Outing Club
- Javier Peralta '21: Summer Research Scholar
- Sloan Warner '20: Internship with Wells Fargo Advisors
- Chantal Iosso '20: Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- Jeremy Abcug '19 and Ginny Johnson '20: Summer Research Scholars
- Matt Villante '20: Bryant S. Kendrick Memorial Outdoors Fund Award and CET Summer Study Abroad
- Liz Todd '19: Henry's Fork Foundation Internship
- Liza Moore '21: Keck Geology Consortium Gateway Project
- Maverick Berglund '19, Nature Conservancy at Flat Ranch Internship
- Josh Fox '19, Summer Research Scholar
- Chris Messerich '20, Keck Geology Consortium Gateway Project
- Kurt Waibel '19, Summer Research Scholar