Travel FAQs

Do I need to quarantine if I'm returning to W&L from abroad?

Yes, anyone arriving from international travel should self-quarantine for 14 days, per CDC guidelines. You can self-monitor, and should stay in your usual place of residence. Single bedrooms are preferred, with mask use and frequent cleaning/disinfection of shared bathrooms and common areas. If you are living on-campus, you do not need to enter special quarantine housing at this point in time, as long as you can follow the guidelines from CDC, unless you had known close contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19. If you have questions, please contact the Student Health Center (, but note that the Student Health Center will be closed and may not be able to answer your questions from July 1 until August 3.

I’m returning to W&L from abroad. Can I fly through a country with a U.S. travel restriction?

U.S. travel restrictions are based on physical presence in an affected county within the last 14 days. Therefore, you cannot fly through any country that is on this list at the time you are traveling: If you are citizen of the E.U., China, Brazil, Ireland, or the U.K., you should be prepared to answer questions about your travel history, to prove that you have been outside of your home country for at least 14 days before attempting to enter the U.S. If you are unsure about how to prepare for these questions, or what kind of evidence you may need to provide, you can direct questions to the CBP office at your arrival airport:

I am traveling this summer for a vacation. When I return to Lexington, will I be required to self-isolate for fourteen days?

You will be required to self-isolate for fourteen days if you have traveled internationally. For domestic travel, you will be asked to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms, but you can generally report to work on campus. As hot spots emerge around the country, VDH is constantly updating its guidance. In the event that you return from a domestic region that is experiencing high occurrence of virus, you may be required to self-isolate upon your return to Lexington.

If I recently traveled and got sick, what should I do?

  • STAY HOME until you have received advice from a healthcare professional about what you should do during the 14 days after possible exposure to someone with COVID-19.
  • Please notify a university official (see below) and the Student Health Center BEFORE returning to campus if you may have been exposed to COVID-19 during your travels, so appropriate measures can be discussed to monitor for illness and reduce the risk of transmission in our community:
    • Faculty and staff should contact Mary Main, executive director of human resources.
    • Undergraduate students should contact Sidney Evans, vice president for student affairs and dean of students.
    • Law students should contact Trenya Mason, assistant dean for law student affairs.
  • Take your temperature twice a day and remain alert for fever, coughs, or difficulty breathing.
  • If you develop a fever, cough, or have difficulty breathing:
    • Students: Contact the Student Health Center right away: 540-458-8401. Please call the center for advice about coming in for evaluation.
    • Faculty and Staff: Contact your primary care physician via telephone or email.
    • If employees have questions about leave, they may contact Human Resources at 540-458-8920 or
  • For further guidance, see the CDC's Interim US Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Persons with Potential COVID-19 Exposure in Travel-associated or Community Settings.

I have just returned from travel to a country with a CDC Level 3 Travel Health Notice. Can I work/study on campus?

Upon return from international travel, employees must self-isolate for 14 days before coming back to campus. See the Human Resources site for information about W&L's COVID-19 Time Off Policy.

Has W&L restricted international or domestic travel?

University-affiliated travel decisions are based on U.S. State Department Travel Advisories and CDC Travel Health Notices.

All non-essential university business travel is restricted. Meetings and conferences are considered non-essential unless presenting scholarship or recruiting and must be pre-approved by the appropriate dean or vice president. For all other travel, deans and vice presidents will determine if travel is essential to meeting the business needs of the university. For essential business travel, public health guidelines for travel should be followed. Use of air, train and public transportation (including ride-sharing companies such as Uber, Lyft and taxis) should be limited to circumstances where there is not a reasonable alternative.

Upon return from domestic travel, employees should self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms but may report to work on campus. Upon return from international travel, employees must self-isolate for 14 days before coming back to campus.

I plan to travel outside the U.S. What should I do?

University-affiliated travel decisions are based on U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories and CDC Travel Health Notices. The university prohibits university-sponsored travel to any country with a State Department Level 4 Travel Advisory or a CDC Level 3 Travel Health Notice. Travel to countries with a State Department Level 3 Travel Advisory is strongly discouraged.

Travel abroad carries potential risks. Be aware that even a country not currently experiencing an outbreak could suddenly be declared a high-risk area, posing risks of exposure, difficulty with travel, or immigration barriers upon return to the U.S.

  • Visit your primary care physician in advance for current travel health and vaccination recommendations.
  • All travelers must register University-related travel through the Center for International Education travel registry system in order to be enrolled in our global health and emergency assistance insurance.
  • As part of registration, be sure you download and activate the Alert Traveler app. This will provide up to date information on coronavirus outbreaks and any other risks.
  • Enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program ("STEP"), to receive current U.S. embassy alerts and messages for your destinations.