Update for Fall Term - Undergraduate Students
To: W&L Undergraduate Students
From: The COVID-19 Committee
Date: Thursday, September 24
Below is this week's update on the university's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please remember to check the COVID-19 Resources website for the latest campus messages, resources, and FAQs that are being updated regularly, and to submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Rising COVID Cases, Restrictions and Virtual Parents Weekend
The COVID Environment Level on campus remains one step away from red this week. At the time of this communication, 32 students have tested positive in the last seven days.
With positive student case numbers continuing to rise, the following restrictions remain in place and will continue to be enforced:
- No indoor gatherings, on or off campus, of more than 6 people (including housemates)
- No outdoor gatherings, on or off campus, of more than 10 people
- Physical distancing of at least six feet is required at all times, in all locations, indoors and out
- Face coverings required at all gatherings, at all times, unless you are outdoors and more than six feet apart
- No visitors other than current W&L students in residences, including residential halls, townhouses, apartments, Greek houses, and off-campus housing
We are very disappointed the university is not able to host your parents on campus, in-person, for a typical Parents and Family Weekend. Instead, a Virtual Parents and Family Weekend is being held today through Sept. 26. As difficult as it was to do, the university has strongly discouraged parents from coming to Lexington for a visit, and has asked them to show the same diligence our students are exhibiting and to respect the health and safety of those who work and study on campus. As a reminder, no visitors other than current W&L students are allowed in residences, including parents, and gatherings that exceed the stated limits both indoors and outdoors are prohibited.
Thank you again to all of you who have been working hard to abide by the COVID-19 restrictions. We appreciate the sacrifices that students, faculty and staff have made and continue to make during this challenging time. Your efforts do make a difference and they significantly improve our chances of completing the Fall Term on campus.
Students who are not exhibiting symptoms but would like a COVID-19 test have a new local option. The Rockbridge Area Health Center (RAHC) is now offering COVID-19 testing. If you are not experiencing symptoms, you do not have to be an established patient of the RAHC to be tested. Call 540-464-8700 to speak with RAHC's COVID Testing Coordinator to schedule testing.
Students with possible symptoms of COVID-19 are advised to stay home, contact Student Health at 540-458-8401 for assessment/indicated testing, and to self-isolate while the test result is pending. The Student Health Center can test students on-site for the Coronavirus antigen with a rapid test that gives results in 15 minutes. This test is recommended for individuals with symptoms, within the first five days of illness.
For Your Reference
- W&L COVID-19 Resources website
- Statement of Community Expectations
- Statement of Student Life Principles and Expectations
- Consequences for Student Noncompliance with Community Expectations