Weekly COVID-19 Committee Update - Faculty and Staff
To: W&L Faculty and Staff
From: COVID-19 Committee
Date: Wednesday, October 28
Below is this week's update on the university's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please remember to check the COVID-19 Resources website for the latest campus messages, resources, and FAQs that are being updated regularly, and to submit your questions to email@example.com.
Community COVID-19 Testing Event
The Central Shenandoah Health District is holding a free COVID-19 testing event on Thursday, Oct. 29 from 7:30-10:30 a.m. at the Rockbridge Regional Communication Center in Buena Vista. Preference for testing will be given to symptomatic individuals and contacts of a known COVID-19 case. No appointment is required.
End of Term Pre-Departure Testing Option
During the week of Nov. 16, the on-campus COVID-19 testing clinic will include optional appointments for faculty and staff who will be in close contact with high-risk individuals at the start of the break. Here's what you need to know:
- A negative COVID-19 test reflects your status only on the day the sample was collected and does not ensure the safety of you or your close contacts.
- If you receive a positive COVID-19 test prior to departure, you will need to isolate for 10 days before it is safe for you to travel and visit friends and family. You will need to be prepared to comply with this public health measure if your pre-departure COVID-19 test result is positive.
- Prevention measures such as consistent use of face coverings, physical distancing, and frequent hand and environmental disinfection, remain critically important. Everyone should use extra care to follow these precautions in the 14 days prior to contact with any high-risk individuals, including during travel.
- If you wish to schedule a pre-departure COVID-19 test, please e-mail Covid19Testing@wlu.edu. The appointments will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reminder: Thanksgiving/Winter Break Travel and Returning to Campus
There are no restrictions on traveling out of state over Thanksgiving or the winter break; however, employees will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days following their return to Lexington. Please work with your supervisor to coordinate your work schedule during the required self-quarantine period. No self-quarantine will be required if traveling within the State of Virginia during the holidays.
Reminder: Student Conduct Data
COVID-related student conduct data are being made available to interested faculty and staff and can be found on Box in the file: Student Conduct at W&L During COVID.
Recent Communications (as information)
- On Oct. 23, the Assistant Dean of Law Student Affairs sent an email to law students with information on the COVID-19 Environment Level on campus, COVID-19 Committee Office Hours, and a testing update.
- On Oct. 23, the COVID-19 Committee sent an email to W&L students, faculty, staff, and parents regarding a change in the environment level from yellow-middle to yellow-high.
- On Oct. 21, the COVID-19 Committee sent an email to undergraduate students with information about COVID-19 Committee office hours, increased weekly testing capacity, campus activities for students, and seasonal flu shots.