Update for Fall Term - Undergraduate Students
To: W&L Undergraduate Students
From: The COVID-19 Committee
Date: Wednesday, November 4
Below is this week's update on the university's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please remember to check the COVID-19 Resources website for the latest campus messages, resources, and FAQs that are being updated regularly, and to submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Dashboard Site Highlights Latest Programs Available for Students
Student Affairs, Student Activities, Campus Recreation and student organizations continue to deliver programming to help students connect in these challenging times. W&L's Student Dashboard is a helpful resource to check out the latest student programming. Among the many activities taking place in the days ahead, several Outing Club sessions (bike rides, horseback riding, hikes), a faculty recital at Lenfest Center and daily Open Rec Hours at the Duchossois Athletic and Recreation Center. Other highlights include:
- TODAY at 6 p.m., What Happened Last Night? Professors Marcos Perez and Zoila Ponce de Leon moderate an analysis and discussion of the 2020 presidential election, from different perspectives and disciplines. To register: wlu.edu/whathappened2020
- TODAY at 8:30 p.m. Zoom Trivia Night. Join individually or with your apartment for some Kahoot! trivia and win a $25 gift card to the restaurant of your choice. Zoom Meeting ID: 939 6835 6326
- Nov. 5 at 7 p.m., the W&L Pre-Health Club will offer a panel on the healthcare system featuring faculty panelists and perspectives from the Rockbridge community. Check your email for more details and access to the Zoom link
- Nov. 11 from 10 to 11 a.m., Artful Yoga presented by The Museums at W&L and Generals Athletics at the Reeves Museum of Ceramics. Pre-registration is required at tiny.cc/artfulwlu. Come prepared with your own mat.
If you have suggestions or ideas for additional student programming, please share them with your class dean or Kelsey Goodwin (email@example.com).
Upcoming COVID-19 Committee Office Hours
The COVID-19 Committee is continuing its office hours this month. Thanks to those who came to the Oct. 30 session. Office hours are held via Zoom and you can use the links below to drop in. We look forward to seeing you!
- Nov. 5 at 11 a.m. - Noon: https://wlu.zoom.us/j/99575132236
- Nov. 13 at 3 - 4 p.m.: https://wlu.zoom.us/j/93923448222
End of Term Pre-Departure Testing Option
On Nov. 16 and Nov. 17, the on-campus COVID-19 testing clinic will include optional appointments for students who are leaving campus and will be in close contact with high-risk individuals at their destination. Here's what you need to know:
- A negative COVID-19 test reflects your status only on the day the sample was collected and does not ensure the safety of you or your close contacts.
- If you receive a positive COVID-19 test prior to departure, you should isolate for 10 days before it is safe for you to interact with friends and family. You will need to be prepared to comply with this public health measure if your pre-departure COVID-19 test result is positive.
- There will be some on-campus isolation space with dining services delivery available during that time, though space and services will be limited.
- Alternatively, if you are able to safely travel home to a setting in which you can safely and completely isolate from others, you may choose to do that. However, the use of public transportation (such as air travel) would not be permitted.
- The Student Health Center will close at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 24 and remain closed until it reopens for clinical services on Jan. 11, 2021. During that time, students with urgent healthcare needs will have to use community healthcare resources such as Velocity Care Urgent Care or the hospital emergency room as appropriate.
- Prevention measures such as consistent use of face coverings, physical distancing, and frequent hand/environmental disinfection, remain critically important. Everyone should use extra care to follow these precautions in the 14 days prior to contact with any high-risk individuals, including during travel.
- If you wish to schedule a pre-departure COVID-19 test, please e-mail Covid19Testing@wlu.edu. The appointments will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Community COVID-19 Testing Event
The Central Shenandoah Health District is holding a free COVID-19 testing event on Thursday, Nov. 5 from 7:30-10:30 a.m. at the Rockbridge Regional Communication Center (100 Baner Lane) in Buena Vista. Preference for testing will be given to symptomatic individuals and contacts of a known COVID-19 case. No appointment is required.
Caught You! (doing the right thing, that is!)
Public Safety and Residential Life continue their weekly recognition raffle program to "catch" students doing the right things (e.g., physical distancing, wearing face coverings). Public safety officers, CAs, and RAs are recognizing students on the spot for COVID-safe behaviors, and handing out raffle tickets for great prizes! Follow this program on social media: WLUPubSafe on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Allen, Sarah (23U)
- Brazil, Maddie (22U)
- Capps, Greg (23L)
- Carlton, Margaret (24U)
- Garst, Callie (21U)
- Gothard, Mika (24U)
- Halliday, Tyler (24U)
- Harris, Foster (24U)
- Hayworth, Margaret (21U)
- Ingram, Emily (23U)
- Jackson, Jacob (24U)
- Johnson, Savannah (22U)
- Krol, Jade (22U)
- Lacksen, Claire (22U)
- Lawson, Caroline (23U)
- O'Donoghue, Brighid (23L)
- Pruett, Sadie (21U)
- Rieck, Will (24U)
- Roberts, Hayden (24U)
- Rodriguez, Diana (23U)
- Ryan, Isabel (21U)
- Singer, Brad (24U)
Reminder - Get Your Seasonal Flu Shot
Receiving a flu vaccine this season is more important than ever. Protect yourself from the seasonal flu by taking advantage of one of these flu shot clinics on campus:
- Thursday, Nov. 5 - 5-7:30 p.m. - Evans Dining Hall
- Tuesday, Nov. 10 - 11 a.m.-2 p.m. - Leyburn Library (main floor)
Free flu shots are also available by appointment at the Student Health Center any time 24/7 (except 12-1 p.m. and 6-7 p.m. daily). Please call ahead for a nurse appointment as there are no walk ins for flu shots at the SHC.