Update for Fall Term - Undergraduate Students
To: W&L Undergraduate Students
From: The COVID-19 Committee
Date: Wednesday, November 11
Below is this week's update on the university's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please remember to check the COVID-19 Resources website for the latest campus messages, resources, and FAQs that are being updated regularly, and to submit your questions to email@example.com.
Student Dashboard Site Highlights Latest Programs Available for Students
Student Affairs, Student Activities, Campus Recreation and student organizations continue to deliver programming to help students connect in these challenging times. W&L's Student Dashboard is a helpful resource to check out the latest student programming. Among the many activities taking place in the days ahead, several Outing Club sessions (bike rides, back campus hikes), a streamed concert by Indian guitarist Debashish Bhattacharya and daily Open Rec Hours at the Duchossois Athletic Center. Other highlights include:
- Nov. 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Chi Omega will be offering hot chocolate and cider on Cannan Green in support of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. (via Zoom), First-year students are encouraged to join a 2020 election analysis from their peers enrolled in the first-year politics seminar on elections. Moderated by Professor Bob Strong. Registration and a WLU email is required. Register at go.wlu.edu/firstyear-election-discussion.
- Nov. 11 from 6 to 8 p.m., the Campus Unity Initiative will be offering doughnuts from Pure Eats, hot beverages, and stress balls at the Village Pavilion (on the Law Lawn).
- Nov. 11-13, at 7 p.m., Mindbending Productions will be streaming "Car Trouble," an original work by Kelly Fennessy '21. Zoom ID for all showings is 922 253 1414 and the suggested donation for viewing is $5, which can be paid using Venmo to @estrellabp.
- Nov. 12 at 7 p.m. (via Zoom), Sophomores, juniors and seniors are encouraged to join fellow students enrolled in POL295: Elections to discuss key takeaways from the 2020 election. Moderated by Professor Bob Strong. Terrific for non-politics majors and others who would like to know more about what occurred, but are pressed for time. Registration and WLU email required. Register at go.wlu.edu/upperclass-election-discussion
If you have suggestions or ideas for student programming in the Winter Term, please share them with your class dean or Kelsey Goodwin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
COVID-19 Committee Office Hours on Nov. 13
The COVID-19 Committee is continuing its office hours this week. Thanks to those who came to the Nov. 5 session. You can use the Zoom link provided to drop in Nov. 13 at 3-4 p.m. (https://wlu.zoom.us/j/93923448222). We look forward to seeing you!
Reminder - End of Term Pre-Departure Testing Option
On Nov. 16 and Nov. 17, the on-campus COVID-19 testing clinic will include optional appointments for students who are leaving campus and will be in close contact with high-risk individuals at their destination. Here's what you need to know:
- A negative COVID-19 test reflects your status only on the day the sample was collected and does not ensure the safety of you or your close contacts.
- If you receive a positive COVID-19 test prior to departure, you should isolate for 10 days before it is safe for you to interact with friends and family. You will need to be prepared to comply with this public health measure if your pre-departure COVID-19 test result is positive.
- There will be some on-campus isolation space with dining services delivery available during that time, though space and services will be limited.
- Alternatively, if you are able to safely travel home to a setting in which you can safely and completely isolate from others, you may choose to do that. However, the use of public transportation (such as air travel) would not be permitted.
- The Student Health Center will close at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 24 and remain closed until it reopens for clinical services in January. During that time, students with urgent healthcare needs will have to use community healthcare resources such as Velocity Care Urgent Care or the hospital emergency room as appropriate.
- Prevention measures such as consistent use of face coverings, physical distancing, and frequent hand/environmental disinfection, remain critically important. Everyone should use extra care to follow these precautions in the 14 days prior to contact with any high-risk individuals, including during travel.
- If you wish to schedule a pre-departure COVID-19 test, please e-mail Covid19Testing@wlu.edu. The appointments will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
University Shuttle Service to Regional Airports
The W&L Traveller program offers shuttle service to/from the Roanoke Airport and the East Falls Church Transit Center in Arlington, VA., with easy connections to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore area airports. (Shuttles are available for W&L students only.) End of Fall Term shuttle drop-off dates and other transportation information are available on the Transportation Services website. You can select 7 a.m. or 12 p.m. departure times from either Lee Chapel or E. Denny Garage. If you have questions, please contact Laura Campbell.
Community COVID-19 Testing Event
The Central Shenandoah Health District is holding a free COVID-19 testing event on Thursday, Nov. 12 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Rockbridge Regional Communication Center (100 Baner Lane) in Buena Vista. Preference for testing will be given to symptomatic individuals and contacts of a known COVID-19 case. No appointment is required.
Caught You! (doing the right thing, that is!)
Public Safety and Residential Life continue their weekly recognition raffle program to "catch" students doing the right things (e.g., physical distancing, wearing face coverings). Public safety officers, CAs, and RAs are recognizing students on the spot for COVID-safe behaviors, and handing out raffle tickets for great prizes! Follow this program on social media: WLUPubSafe on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Abaev, Nick (22L)
- Adekogbe, Tehila (23U)
- Aikman, Jordan (24U)
- Chin, Adam (24U)
- Donaldson, Connor (23L)
- Estrada, Ana (22U)
- Gutierrez, Oriana (24U)
- Holladay, Grace (21U)
- Holliday, Henry (23U)
- Johansen, Lane (22U)
- Jarvis, Dylan (23L)
- Marx, Freddie (21U)
- McGee, Elizabeth (24U)
- Moss, Gabi (24U)
- O'Kelley, Cate (22U)
- Phillips, Tahrington (23U)
- Richey, Elizabeth (24U)
- Savory, Christina (22U)
- Sezen, Stephanie (21U)
- Snyder, Jessica (23U)
- Steuart, Langley (24U)
- Thornton, Ellie (23U)
- Wall, Berkeley (24U)
- Warrick, Sarai (23U)
Reminder - Get Your Seasonal Flu Shot
Free flu shots remain available by appointment at the Student Health Center any time 24/7 (except 12-1 p.m. and 6-7 p.m. daily). Please call ahead for a nurse appointment as there are no walk ins for flu shots at the SHC.