Instructions for Physical Distancing During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Take these steps to monitor your health and practice physical distancing:
- Monitor for symptoms that could indicate COVID-19 infection. Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
- Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day (once in the morning, once in the evening) and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing.
- If you get sick with fever (100.4°F/38°C or higher), cough, or have trouble breathing, call ahead before you go to a doctor's office or emergency room.
- Before you arrive, tell your doctor about any recent contact with someone with COVID-19, any recent travel, and your symptoms.
- To the extent possible, stay home, avoid group settings, and limit public activities. If there are others in your household, try to minimize contact by staying in separate rooms. Sleep in separate bedrooms and use separate bathrooms, if available.
- To the extent possible, consider not going to work or school. Work with your employer or school administrator regarding telework options or distance learning.
- Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares during the time you are practicing physical distancing.
- Avoid crowded places (such as shopping centers and movie theaters) and limit your activities in public during the time you are practicing physical distancing.
- Essential services should be done in a way that minimizes your activities in public. For example:
- Use delivery services for meals and groceries if available or ask family members and friends if they are able to assist with these activities. If these options are not available, grocery shopping during non-peak hours and distancing yourself from others is advised.
- Use pharmacies with drive-through services if available.
- Ask if routine medical or dental appointments can be rescheduled. If an appointment is advised, call ahead to the doctor's office and ask for specific instructions. Ask if scheduling the appointment during non-peak hours is an option.
- Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).